It takes a lot of time and dedication to achieve an excellent credit score. Once you reach this goal, it’s time to put all your hard work into action.
With excellent credit – defined by Experian as a score from 800 to 850 – you gain access to the best credit card offers. Furthermore, you can secure the lowest interest rates, top of the line perks, and killer rewards.
What to do Next
It’s important to use your excellent credit to your advantage. To start, you should only carry a credit card that rewards you in some way. Maybe you want a rewards credit card that allows you to earn points toward travel. Or maybe you want a card with the lowest possible interest rate.
Make a list of what’s most important to you, and then search for offers that suit your guidelines.
Questions to Answer
Don’t be in a hurry to apply for a credit card. Instead, take your time as you compare the hundreds of offers that you qualify for.
When doing so, answering these questions will point you in the right direction:
- Are you looking for a particular type of credit card, such as one that offers rewards or cash back?
- Do you have your sights set on a particular credit card issuer?
- What are the fees associated with the cards you’re comparing?
- Are you interested in finding a credit card with a sign-up bonus?
- What are you looking for in your next credit card that you didn’t have in the past?
When you answer these questions, it becomes easier to eliminate some offers and make a short list of those that meet most (if not all) your wants and needs.
For example, a high annual fee accompanies many of the best offers for consumers with excellent credit. You have to decide if you’re okay paying this fee, since you’re getting so much in return.
Pick Up the Phone and Dive Deeper
You can only learn so much about credit cards online. At some point, you’ll want to learn more – and that’s when it makes sense to pick up the phone.
Contact the customer service department for each card on your short list. You can then do the following:
- Ask for clarification on anything you don’t understand
- Ask questions that will help you make a better decision
- Discuss the online application process
Also, make note of how you are treated. If you’re not satisfied with the customer service at this time, you may run into the same issue down the road.
With excellent credit, you have access to the best credit card offers. Don’t sell yourself short by making a rash decision that you may later regret.
You worked hard to achieve a high credit score, and now it’s time to take full advantage!